Sunday, November 21, 2010

I'm trying to remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt.?

I have a 1997 VW Jetta 2 liter and want to change the timing belt. I can not remove the crank pulley bolt even with a 1/2'; impact. Am I turning it the wrong way? Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? The bolt head is a 19 mm 12 point. Any tips on how to remove it would be appreciated. I'm posting this for my hubby.I'm trying to remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt.?
Anti clockwise to undo. Jam a power bar and socket on to the chassis and operate the starter.



These are notoriously tight and hard to undoI'm trying to remove the crank pulley bolt so I can change my timing belt.?
If you have a manual transmission, put it in gear, set the parking brake, and use a breaker bar to turn it counter-clockwise as you look at the head of the bolt. If it's an automatic, remove the starter and use a prybar or something similar to lock against the teeth on the flywheel so the crank won't spin... again, turn it counter-clockwise.



Also, spray it with penetrating oil first and let it sit for a while. If you happen to have rust on the threads or the bolt and it snaps in the crank, it's a real pain to fix.
the threading of the bolt usually depends on the rotation of the motor. I believe if the motor turns clockwise, the bolt loosens counterclockwise, and Viceversa...



i'm not saying to do this...but i used to break them loose on older cars by finding the rotation of the motor, wedging a breaker bar under the control arm accordingly and cranking the motor without the coil plugged in. (with everyone away from that side of the car too!!!)
If the pulley spins clockwise normally it probably will have counter clockwise threads, this prevents it from spinning out while running. It would be advised to find a shop manual and confirm this.

No comments:

Post a Comment